In this episode of Twin Sisters, Love & Cooking!, twin sisters Joy and Judy cook lasagna soup, an old family favorite! Joy and Judy are twin sisters who love spending time with each other, especially in the kitchen!
When Judy was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009, they started to cook healthier recipes based on their family's traditional Italian dishes. Joy's lasagna soup is a healthier and lighter choice, one that was inspired out of familial love, and just perfect for the holiday season.
This video was produced by Tracy Chevrier and shot/edited by Yura Makarov. To see more delicious and inspiring videos from Joy and Judy just like this one, check out our YouTube Channel!
Lasagna Soup Recipe:
- 2-3 turns of olive oil
- 1 pound of turkey sausage,
- optional1 onion, diced2 cloves of garlic,
- chopped 2 lbs fresh tomatoes,I used campari tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles *broken into large pieces* Gluten free pasta, rice pasta or whole wheat pasta can be used, any shaped pasta is fine
- skim milk ricotta, garnish
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Add onions and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and tomato paste along with the wine and parmesan cheese. Let simmer for an hour, taste and re-season.
About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the pasta to the soup pot. However, it may take a bit longer to cook so keep checking. If you need more broth to compensate for pasta soaking up the soup, go ahead and add more. If you prefer it, you can cook some additional pasta.