Try These 5 Simple Strategies To Increase Happiness
While we can't control every factor that affects our happiness, there are always some actions we can take to amp up our good vibes. Consider trying a few of these -- or all of them! -- anytime you need to give your day a little boost.
5) Yoga - Did you know that yoga postures combined with conscious breathing facilitate deep relaxation, which combats stress and makes you happy?
4) Laughter - Laughter decreases stress hormones and triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain. No wonder they say "laughter is the best medicine!"
3) Walking - Walking does more than just get you in shape; it's a natural mood-booster! When you walk, run, or do any form of exercise, your brain produces endorphins, which can both dull pain and boost your mood? So go ahead and take a walk; you'll feel happier and healthier afterwards.
2) Eating Healthy - "Nutrition actually influences the structure and the functioning of our brain cells," says Alan Logan, a naturopathic doctor, and author of The Brain Diet (Cumberland House). "We now know that the foods that you eat directly influence communication within the brain." The key to improving your mood with food is to cut back on processed snacks in favor of whole foods.
1) Puppies - Petting your cat or dog can lower your blood pressure and make you feel calmer. Even watching fish can ease tense muscles. Both activities increase serotonin and dopamine in your brain, both of which are mood-boosters. A study done by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has even found that people recover from a stressful situation more quickly in the company of their pets than they do with their partners or friends.
We always say... remember to smile! Hopefully these 5 tips for increasing your happiness help you do just that.
Did you know today is National Face Your Fears day? What are you afraid of? Today is the day to conquer them.
The Joy Riders aren't afraid of much. The all female, international skydiving and base jumping team fall through the sky for fun. They represent joy, passion, inspiration, and work to motivate their audience to go after what they want most in life.
Did you know there are 40 million Americans who suffer from some form of anxiety? Still, there are even more are just dealing with everyday stress. Along with a new guest every episode, comedian Joe Leonardo explains how to make the best of a stressful/anxious situation and give us tips to deal with our anxiety and stress. On this episode, Joe talks with Tristan Miller as they walk over the Queensboro Bridge and face Joe's fear of heights. For FULL SERIES, visit http://www.onlygood.tv/ !
New from OnlyGood.tv! Food Rescue US is a free app based organization that rescues unused food from supermarkets, restaurants, corporations and other entities that produce or serve food. Watch how volunteers use the Food Rescue US app to make sure this food gets to people in need. Watch the full video now on OnlyGood.tv!
New from OnlyGood.tv! In A Dog's Journey Home, Episode 6, see the dedicated Tracy's Dogs team in action, led by Tracy and Scott Whyatt, as they work tirelessly to save the lives of thousands of dogs and find them proper homes across the country. We join Tracy and her tech team as they go through the gut wrenching process of selecting the small number of dogs they are able to rescue from an already overcrowded shelter. The team has their hands full, in one case with a large litter of puppies, getting them all settled and cared for. There is lots to do as they prepare the dogs for their upcoming trip to meet with the owners of their new forever homes in Indianapolis, Indiana. Watch the full video now on OnlyGood.tv!
To see all of the Dog's Journey Home episodes, start your FREE TRIAL today!
New from OnlyGood.tv! TV personality and mother of 2, Marysol Castro shares stories that highlight the good in the world! This week Marysol shares feel-good stories including one about Julia Alexander's giving spirit and story of survivorship and how she helps other kids affected by cancer. She then turns the spotlight on LiveGirl, a nonprofit Girl Empowerment organization helping to create the next generation of female leaders through positivity and support. Marysol also speaks 1-1 with the stars of OGTV's A Little Joy and Judy who deliver home cooked meals to people going through hard times. Watch the full video now on OnlyGood.tv!
New from OnlyGood.tv! In 2001, Dara Pollak was an aspiring dancer in NYC when she was tragically hit by a car. Her leg was shattered and so were her dreams of becoming a professional dancer. While recovering from her accident, Dara found comfort in watching cooking shows and she soon discovered a new passion: food. She launched The Skinny Pig (www.theskinnypignyc.com) in 2008--a blog dedicated to recipes, cooking tips and restaurant reviews. Watch the full video now on OnlyGood.tv!
New from OnlyGood.tv! In this new uplifting series, twin sisters Judy Vig and Joy Paoletti deliver home-cooked meals to people going through hard times. Watch Joy and Judy cook up one of their favorite dishes, Chicken Sorrento, and then stop by to comfort Tweed, who had recently lost her husband, Dave, to cancer. Watch the full video now on OnlyGood.tv!
New from OnlyGood.tv! TV personality and mother of 2, Marysol Castro shares stories that highlight the good in the world! This week Marysol shares feel-good stories including a man with Asperger's who wrote a children's book about his journey from loneliness to happiness and a family-run farm that supports its community with physical products and charitable donations. Marysol also speaks 1-1 with cancer survivor and aspiring singer Caly Bevier, star of the OGTV series, Caly On The Good. Watch the full video now on OnlyGood.tv!