While we can't control every factor that affects our happiness, there are always some actions we can take to amp up our good vibes. Consider trying a few of these -- or all of them! -- anytime you need to give your day a little boost.
5) Yoga - Did you know that yoga postures combined with conscious breathing facilitate deep relaxation, which combats stress and makes you happy?
4) Laughter - Laughter decreases stress hormones and triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain. No wonder they say "laughter is the best medicine!"
3) Walking - Walking does more than just get you in shape; it's a natural mood-booster! When you walk, run, or do any form of exercise, your brain produces endorphins, which can both dull pain and boost your mood? So go ahead and take a walk; you'll feel happier and healthier afterwards.
2) Eating Healthy - "Nutrition actually influences the structure and the functioning of our brain cells," says Alan Logan, a naturopathic doctor, and author of The Brain Diet (Cumberland House). "We now know that the foods that you eat directly influence communication within the brain." The key to improving your mood with food is to cut back on processed snacks in favor of whole foods.
1) Puppies - Petting your cat or dog can lower your blood pressure and make you feel calmer. Even watching fish can ease tense muscles. Both activities increase serotonin and dopamine in your brain, both of which are mood-boosters. A study done by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has even found that people recover from a stressful situation more quickly in the company of their pets than they do with their partners or friends.
We always say... remember to smile! Hopefully these 5 tips for increasing your happiness help you do just that.