Below is Forbes' list of this year's most generous celebrities. See how the data were collected here.
1. Actress Jami Gertz and her husband Antony Ressler — $10,569,002
To the Ressler Gertz Foundation. Grants from the foundation include $1.7 million to the LA County Museum of Art, $400k to Cedar Sinai Medical Center.
2. Musician Herb Alpert –$9,104,829
To the Herb Alpert Foundation, which focuses on the arts, compassion, and well being.
3. Actor Mel Gibson — $6,853,020
To the A.P. Reilly Foundation, which he started to support Holy Family Church.
4. Director, Producer, Writer, George Lucas — $4,250,000
To Lucas Film Foundation then granted to The George Lucas Educational Foundation with a mission to inspire and empower young people to become responsible citizens, compassionate leaders, and to live their dream.
5. Writer Nora Roberts — $3,000,000
To the Nora Roberts Foundation, which support literacy. Additional areas of focus are: children’s programs, arts organizations, and humanitarian efforts, with local organizations being its priority.
6. NFL Player Ndamukong Suh — $2,600,000
$2 million to the Nebraska University athletic department and another $600,000 to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering to endow a scholarship. It is the largest single gift ever from a former football player.
7. MLB Player Lance Berkman and his wife Cara — $2,412,245
To The Lord’s Fund, a foundation they established. Grants include $400k to Josiah Venture, a Christian youth movement in Eastern Europe, and $113k to Children’s Cup, a Christian organization focusing on “forgotten children” in Swaziland, Mozambique and Zimbabwe, and efforts are also underway in Vietnam and the Philippines.. Most of their giving is to Christian-based organizations.
8. Actress Meryl Streep and her husband Donald Gummer — $2,000,000
To Silver Mountain Foundation for the Arts, a foundation they established. Grants include $100k each to Oxfam America and Partners in Health; $1,225,000 to Vassar College. Total grantmaking for the year was more than $2.1 million.
9. Television Producer Marcia Carsey and her husband John Carsey — $1,870,000
To Carsey Family Foundation they established. Grants include $250k to Media Matters for America, $100k to Institute for America’s Future, $50k to Progressive Talent Initiative.
10. Simpsons’ Co-Creator Sam Simon — $1,800,000
To The Sam Simon Foundation to “save the lives of dogs to enrich the lives of people.” The Foundation manages a number of programs including a mobile veterinary unit, dogs for veterans, and dogs for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
11. Comedian Jerry Seinfeld — $1,766,000
To the Seinfeld Family Foundation that supports education, children’s services, health associations, and Jewish organizations; funding also for the arts.
12. Actress Barbra Streisand — $1,555,500
To the Barbra Streisand Foundation. Grants are distributed to a variety of charities and causes including the Barbra Streisand Women’s Cardiovascular Research and Education Program at Cedars Sinai, City Year, and the Natural Resources Defense Council, respectively.
13. Actor Matthew McConaughey — $1,537,292
To the Just Keep Livin’ Foundation that he established. Grants distributed include $88,000 to Communities in School Los Angeles West and $38,000 Communities in School Central Texas.
14. Writers Dean and Gerda Koontz — $1,500,000
To the Dean and Gerda Koontz Foundation. Grants include $750,000 to Canine Companions for Independence and $500,000 to Saint Michael’s Abbey in Silverado, CA.
15. Model Gisele Bundchen — $1,500,000
To the Red Cross for Haiti Relief.
16. Writer Isabel Allende — $1,017,247
To the Isabel Allende Foundation to support charities that empower and protect women. Founded in honor of her daughter, Paula Frias who passed away at 28. Grants include $500,000 to Oritel, which provides human services for low income families and $30,500 to the Global Fund for Women.
17. Actor Alec Baldwin — $1,005,131
To the Alec Baldwin Foundation. Grants include $50,000 to the NY Philharmonic, $42,500 to Waterkeeper Alliance, and $250,000 to the Carol M Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
18. Actress Sandra Bullock — $1,000,000
To Doctors Without Borders for Haiti Relief following the devastating earthquake.
19. NFL Player Eli Manning and his wife Abby — $1,000,000
To the University of Mississippi’s Ole Miss Opportunity Scholarship, which allows prospective students with an adjusted gross family income at or below $30,000 to attend the University of Mississippi.
20. Actress Will and Jada Smith — $900,000
To the Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation. Grants included $126,000 to the Lupus Foundation, $200,000 to the Baltimore School for the Arts, and $52,000 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
21. Playboy Founder Hugh Hefner — $900,000
To Trust for Public Land to save the iconic Hollywood sign from being plowed under in order to make room for four luxury homes.
22. NBA Player Carmelo Anthony — $837,200
To Carmelo Anthony Foundation. Grants include $500,000 to Syracuse University and $302,000 to The Living Classroom Foundation.
23. Cyclist and seven-time winner of the Tour de France, Lance Armstrong – $700,648
To The LiveStrong Foundation, which he founded to improve the lives of people with cancer.
24. Writers Jonathan and Faye Kellerman — $627,700
To Jonathan and Faye Kellerman Foundation. Grants include $175,000 for Children’s Hospital of LA, $150,000 to USC/Kellerman Endowment, $25,000 to Boston Institute of Music.
25. MLB Player Mariano Rivera — $627,500
To the Mariano Rivera Foundation. Grants distributed included $150,000 to the Church of God Prophecy and $50,000 to the Brooklyn Tabernacle.
26. Singer/Songwriter Taylor Swift — $625,000
$500k to Hands on Nashville the Community Foundation of Middle Tennesee for Nashville’s flood relief efforts (Nashville Rising); $25,000 to the Wyomissing, PA school district for educational $100,000 check to rebuild Kids Kingdom, a playground in Hendersonville, Tennesee where she attended high school.
27. Daniel and Cara Whitney (Larry the Cable Guy) — $550,020
To Git-R-Done Foundation. Grants include $500,000 to the Child Advocacy Center and $525,000 to the Madonna Foundation.
28. Artist Jasper Johns — $500,000
To Low Road Foundation he established. Grants distributed include $50,000 to the Foundation for Contemporary Arts.
29. Golfer Davis Love — $424,379
To the Davis Love III Foundation, which he established. Grants distributed include $479,000 to the St. Presbyterian Church, $100,000 to Frederica Academy, $75,000 to Special Olympics, and $75,000 to Boys and Girls Club of Southeast GA.
30. Actress Victoria Principal — $342,665
To Victoria Principal Foundation. Grants distributed include $25,000 to Greenpeace Fund, $125,000 to Natural Resource Defense Council, $100,000 to Oceana.