14 Science-Backed Ways You Can Benefit From Spending Time Alone
Dedicating alone time can have amazing benefits in your life as you release any worries of pleasing others and focus entirely on yourself. Whether you are learning a new skill, mastering your craft or simply relaxing after a long day, spending time alone can benefit you in many ways. Here are 14 reasons why you should consider spending more time alone:
1) Meditate - Read the fourteen scientifically proven ways meditation rewires your brain for happiness, peace, and success here.
2) Breathe - Deep breathing reduces the stress response and anxiety in your body.
3) Think - Solitude is reported to help the unconscious to process and unravel problems.
4) Create - Individuals who spend time alone are able to think creatively and develop new ideas.
5) Read - Reading a novel may cause changes in resting-state connectivity of the brain therefore improving function.
6) Listen - Listening to music has been found to lower the production of the stress hormone cortisol in the brain.
7) Write - Journaling for 20 minutes a day helps adults heal faster after a necessary procedure.
8) Reflect - Studies show that reviewing your progress helps improve effectiveness in process.
9) Hike - After spending 4 days immersed in nature, 56 adult participants experienced improved performance on a creative problem-solving task by 50%.
10) Plan - Research shows that when using intentional language when setting goals has a positive impact on achieving them.
11) Sleep - Research suggests a 90-minute nap can improve associative memory and could benefit the brain's hippocampus region.
12) Exercise - The risk for dementia is lowered by regular exercise and increases the size of of the anterior hippocampus, which improves spatial memory.
13) Work - It was found that making progress in your work is the easiest way to improve your work day.
14) Imagine - A study found that daydreaming can lead to increases in productivity and creativity.
Here's the full infographic from GetVoip.com.
In A Dog's Journey Home, see the dedicated Tracy's Dogs team in action, led by Tracy Whyatt, as they work tirelessly to save the lives of thousands of dogs and find them proper homes across the country. In this emotional episode, see the team save dozens of dogs from a "kill shelter" in San Antonio and bring them to meet the owners of their new forever homes in Buffalo, New York. Watch the full story only at onlygood.tv!
"The best way I have always put it is: If you wake up in the morning, and you have cancer and you don't feel well, you can call into work and say 'Hey, I have cancer, I don't feel well,' and everyone understands. You are told to rest and not worry. Now, try to call into work and say, 'My anxiety is so bad. I can't do this today.' In that case, you are told to get it together and get to work. How is that possible? How are these two conditions, which are both life threatening, treated so differently?"
While serving in Afghanistan in 2010, Marine Corporal Juan Dominquez lost both legs and his right arm in an explosion. He may have lost 3 limbs, but it hasn't stopped him from pursuing his dreams.
Art classes allow young people to express themselves in important ways. Unfortunately, arts education is disappearing from schools in America; since 2008, 80% of school districts have cut funding for art programs. Simultaneously, student creativity scores have dropped. Fortunately, there are people and groups out there fighting to keep arts education present and vibrant in schools across the country.
Tennis is a popular and fun pastime, in that it requires mental focus and athletic ability. But due to the cost of equipment and court time, lots of kids never get the chance to try their hand at the sport. Leaders of the Junior Tennis Champion Center (JTCC) recognized this cost challenge, and decided to do something to change it. In 2009, JTCC launched a Community Outreach initiative, with the goal of introducing underserved kids in Prince George's County, MD, and Washington, DC to tennis. And the program has become an indisputable success.
What's more fun than watching a fashion show? How about a fashion show featuring incredibly cute dogs??
Jim Curtis is an award-winning health industry pioneer. But reaching the pinnacle of success, as he has today, was no cake-walk. Only after accepting the curveballs and challenges that life threw his way could Jim find happiness and thrive in his career.
The inaugural Universal FanCon (FanCon) is the first large-scale, 24-hour, inclusive event that celebrates the diversity of fans, the diversity of fandom, the true needs of those who love pop culture and a celebration of the differences that make us strong. Hosted at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, MD, April 27-29, 2018, FanCon's mission is to create a sense of belonging by providing authentic connections and experiences through fan-centric parties, programs, panels and partners.